DISCLAIMER: THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT I COULD BE WRONG.

Minneapolis Grain Exchange seats are cheap. Everyone should buy one...and then buy one for a friend.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No Miracle Close Here...

Strong USD, higher interest rates, good weather...nothing remotely bullish for wheat in today's news. After holding KC July10/July11 spreads for some time now at full carry (around 3-3.25% yield with delivery/re-tender), I pitched that position out. Too much risk of higher financing rates, too much much risk of a storage rate change, too long at the price to be considered a bargain.

I put on a new long ethanol/short corn spread. Ethanol margins are back close to 6 month lows--close to breakeven for most producers-so not much incentive to bring on new capacity. At he same time, the calendar spreads for ethanol indicate tighter inventories--the curve is almost flat from July to December. There is a possibility the blend wall (maximum ethanol mix) will be raised from 10% at some point this summer. Even with gasoline down almost 20% in a month, it is still very profitable to blend as much $1.60/gallon ethanol as possible into that gasoline. Since there is a lot of uncertainty around the likelihood and timing of a blend wall increase, I think it will have a very positive impact on ethanol prices should it come to pass. Even if the limit stays at 10%, US corn-based ethanol is still economic vs sugar-based Brazilian product, so exports should continue and imports will be almost nil.

2 comments:

  1. Quick question: When you "own" the July10/July11 spread, are you long July 10 and short July 11?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be clear on spreads by spelling out "long this/short that," but in this case I was not clear. Yes, I was long July10/ short July11 and I had that position for some weeks, which is why I think I lapsed into saying "holding."

    The credit crunch in Euro-land worsened significantly since I initiated the trade, and I believe the cash basis for Hard Red Winter Wheat is also much weaker. The former makes financing charges potentially higher, while the latter is the reason the CBOT instituted VSR (Variable Storage Rates).
    I did some posts on VSR that you can find with the Search box on this site.
    Best Regards,
    Tom Farley

    ReplyDelete